Monday, December 13, 2010

Watson Family Christmas Dinner

This past Saturday we had our Watson Family Christmas Dinner. This is the big family reunion on my Daddy's side of the family and this was year #61! It was so fun. Usually this is held in either Dothan or Montgomery, but this year lucky for us, it was in Birmingham, so we didn't have to travel! We normally get to see quite a bit of these people during the year, but there are still some that we only see at the Christmas dinner that live further away.

Our family


This started a long time ago with the original 8 Watson children. Now there are only 3 of them left, my Aunt Ann, my grandmother, and my Uncle Bud. Every year each family takes a turn hosting the dinner. This year was my Grandmama's turn, so my Uncle Larry and Daddy were in charge.


"The dinner" as Grandmama and Ease (her twin) always called it, was such a big deal to them and they looked forward to it all year long. They started planning EARLY what they were going to wear, what we would wear, what songs they would sing and which jokes they would tell-and they had alot of them (because they were big performers and LIVED to be the center of attention!)




Larry and Daddy




I'm not sure if I've mentioned on here before that my Grandmother has had Alzheimer's for a while, several years. After my Grandaddy died last December, it's gotten really bad. She normally recognizes people, but she is night and day different from how she used to be. We're just so glad she was able to go this year though. She would have never missed a Christmas dinner!!


We weren't sure how Hayes was going to do since it usually lasts awhile. But oh my goodness, I don't even know how to describe the PURE EXCITEMENT she had being with all of her cousins. Nathan and I have died laughing about how she will just SCREAM with happiness at the top of her lungs b/c she is so happy being with all of them.


Sitting at the big kid table!


All the kids, minus Carson and Hayes, read the Christmas story together


and Hayes listened...can't wait until she can join them one day!


Carson


Sweet Holley








Girl cousins...Emma, Claire, Alice, Hayes, Holley, and Mary Hannah




All the little cousins... They all live in Bham, except for Holley, MH, and Carson-if only they were here too!


I wish I had more pictures of all the adults, but we did get a big group picture of everyone there-78 total. Hope to get that soon! I love this tradition. I hope it will continue for a long time and I'm so glad that Hayes and Watson now get to be a part of it.
Thanks for hanging in there if you're still reading, this was more for my memories to have it recorded here!

No comments: